Friday, January 12, 2018

Week 1 Media Blog Forum

Topic 1: About Me
  This is my third journalism class at LB.  I started out with Photojournalism and am continuing on with the course requirements as a Journalism Major.  I am more interested in this class because I would like to learn more about the process of writing stories and focus on the reporting aspect.  I would like to learn about investigative reporting as I am most interested in politics and international affairs.  I am drawn to the job style of getting assigned a story and having to do my own research and investigating for more information.  Apart from writing, I most enjoy outdoor activities such as skiing during the winter and backpacking/hiking during the warmer seasons.  My dad and I are active hikers and are currently working on accumulating segments of the Pacific Crest Trail.

Topic 2: My Three Goals
   My goals for this term are to develop a different skill set that I have not been introduced yet through other writing classes.  I am new to the idea of "short and easy" topics and stories.  I tend to be a very wordy writer and can usually get a way with in in other forms of academic writing.  However, the intentions of the stories in this class is to spread information in an entertaining way that is easy to understand as well as easy to remember.  I would also like to expose myself to the possibility of "Breaking News" stories.  Although the circumstances of a school paper will not likely lead to many large stories such as these, I would like to get experience writing more stories with some sort of time constraint to test my abilities and prepare me for future opportunities.  The goal that will probably be the most challenging for me is to learn how to write in a neutral, fact based manor.  I am usually very passionate about the topics I write about and it might be difficult for me to leave out my own opinions.  The rule of adjectives with help me the most in forcing the bulk of my stories to be driven by nouns and verbs without planting biased opinions in the readers mind.

Topic 3: My First News Story
  My first story revolves around the health classes that are available at LBCC and what benefits are provided to students that can assist in long term health.  Could this class be advertised to the student body as more than just a General Education course?  For my sources, I will be interviewing Richard Gibbs who is the Chair for the Department of Health and Human Performance and also a professor for PE 231: Lifetime Health and Fitness.  I will also interview Brad Carman who is also a professor of PE 231 and has long history of teaching and studying in various health aspects including diet, nutrition, and exercise.  My questions for the interview include: What benefits and tests does the class offer?, Do students effectively change their behavior after getting results from the blood tests?, How many students effectively reach their goal by the end of the term?, Do you believe this class should be encouraged for all?, How do you think the information provided sets students up for a healthy life?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 5 Forum

Topic 1 I believe that my best story so far has been the report on the new Philosophy Club at LBCC.  I was the most prepared with questions...